Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ruby Slippers

I've been thinking a lot about how fast time goes by. 
I just cannot believe that my baby will be two this summer! Yesterday she found a headband and did her hair all by herself. She is so awesome.
It makes me a little sad, but I love me some party planning! I have a bunch of ideas running around in my head, but I'm just not sure what to do yet. Do I give into the character thing? She is loving Dora and Minnie Mouse at the moment, but I despise all the typical character/themed party store stuff. I want to do something pretty and girlie, but the hubs keeps saying, "That's a party for you not Liza" and silly things like that :) My argument is that she won't really remember and I should probably wait until she can tell me what she wants. So the debate continues. 

But, seriously, look at this party. How gorgeous is that? I will totally win this fight.

In the meantime, I thought I would share with you Liza's 1st Birthday party. We decided on a Wizard of Oz inspired party. Mostly because of my mild obsession with Judy Garland, but I really do think it was fate. I mean, Liza's due date was Judy Garland's birthday. I couldn't argue with that :)
 I love that although it was a Wizard of Oz party some people didn't even notice the theme. Alright, these people I'm referring to were guys. I guess that solves that. 

Here's some fun stuff to look at. The party took place at my parents' house. It ended up being the perfect place for it since our yard was being worked on.

I loved her Poppy Field cake. My friend Amanda made it. Check out her other work here!

I sprinkled some Lemon Drops on for fun.
The cake looks a lot brighter in this picture than it actually was.





I wanted a way to display Liza's pictures of her first year so I bought some frames from the Dollar Tree and printed out some pictures. Here's what we ended up with. 



It wasn't perfect, but it did the job. I bought the banner and the cupcake toppers from The TomKat Studio. Her Wizard of Oz  party really inspired me!

My mom made these Cowardly Lion cake pops. I thought she did an awesome job! 




I wish I had more food pictures. I named all the food after references to the movie. It made me a little giddy. Of course, I ended up rushing the food signs, but no one really cared except me.

Here are the cupcakes I made. They are topped with the cupcakel toppers that I purchased through The TomKat Studio Etsy store.


Here is the party hat I made. Nothing fancy. I covered a clearanced party hat from the Party Store with blue gingham scrapbook paper, glued on some lace, and cut out a red, sparkly one.






The birthday girl wore a cute blue gingham skirt that I found at Target and some ruby slippers that a friend found for me at Walmart. She did have an adorable shirt from my cousin's awesome shop, but it got a little dirty before the party.

She didn't love her ruby slippers as much as her momma did :(


Ruby Slipper...it might be on the wrong foot.

It's a little hard to see, but here is a picture of the banner my aunt made and of the favours. I made rice crispy treats on a stick and dipped them in yellow chocolate. They were called Yellow Brick Road Treats. I put them in little plastic bags and tied them with little thank you cards.

That seems to be all the pictures that I have. I recommend designating someone to take pictures for you. It was hard for me to take pictures, run the party, and take care of the super tired baby who didn't take a nap all day and the hubs was busy grilling and hanging with the party guests. 

I'll leave you with a few more pictures from the day. 
The best family picture we have from the day. It's also a good idea to make sure that people know how to use your camera :)


Birthday girl & mommy

My tired girl.




And now my girl has discovered a new pair of ruby slippers. They are glittery and pink. She calls them her "Peensess Shooz." 


Princess Shoes
XOXO Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute party Sarah!! I love party planning too and went way overboard with B's 1st birthday!! But it was so fun!! I can't wait for next year. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of COURSE you did Wizard of Oz! I don't see any rainbows, though... hm... I love the cake and lion pops. So creative!

    ReplyDelete